Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Strawberry Pie {a recipe}

I am in the middle of a very lengthy Mad Men marathon and on the last episode I watched the stunning Draper was typing a letter.  They zoomed in on the typewriter and held it for a bit and I could actually SMELL the typewriter.  The image of the typewriter trigger a smell memory of the one I had growing up. I loved the way the ribbon smelled!  How interesting that probably most reading this have no idea how a typewriter smells.

An extinct smell.  The Typewriter.

I should have declared a drinking game for that little segment.  Typewriter being the trigger word.



I have a very very VERY fabulous recipe to share with, but it come with a very very VERY strong warning.

WARNING

If you read yesterday's post and your trouble area is food?  STOP READING.  Thank you.

STRAWBERRY PIE

As you know, we took the Misters strawberry picking this past weekend.  If you didn't know, you do now and you can read all about it here.  Besides the family bonding time and the fun for the bebes, the purpose of this trip was to score some fresh strawberries for the fantastic pie recipe.

Fantastic might be an understatement.  Oh my strawberry loving word, this was the best pie I have ever made.  It did come with some flaws though.  Ok, just one flaw but it is a big one.  The Crust.  The crust is homemade and while turning out very scrumptious, was a horror to make.  I won't go into details but it resulted in my physically piecing the dough in the pie plate and smushing it all about until I got what slightly resembled a pie shell. This is not the pie crust recipe I will be using in the future and therefore will not be sharing that part of the information.  When I find a crust recipe that will be my staple, I will pass it along. Until then, go buy a pie crust.  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GO BUY A CRUST.

Now because of my pie crust frustration that some would consider a full blown meltdown, I was too annoyed and frankly didn't care at that point to take step-by-step pictures of the pie making process.  So there are just a few and then some yummy finished product ones.  And by yummy, I mean amazeballs.



Crust 
no comment. 
Filling
2 pints strawberries, sliced
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Crumb Topping
2 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup plus 2 1/2 Tablespoons all purpose flour

Filling:
In  mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together the sugar and flour on low speed. Add in the eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract and mix on medium speed until combined.
Place the sliced strawberries in the crust.

Pour the filling evenly over the strawberries. 

Set the pie aside while you make the crumb topping.
Crumb Topping:
Mix together the brown sugar, sugar, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg.
Pour the melted unsalted butter into the bowl and mix everything together.
Add in the flour and mix until the ingredients form a crumble topping.
Crumble the crumb topping evenly over the pie.

Egg Wash:
Mix together 1 large egg and a Tablespoon of water. Brush the egg wash over the edge of the crust with a brush or your fingers. I have been known to use both methods.  It's whatevs.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10-15 minutes.

Once the pie is done baking, place it on a cooling rack to cool completely and set. This will take a while. Cutting into the pie warm makes it a bit runny so just sit back and drool while you wait for it to cool.  
When set slice and stuff yo face.





1 comment:

  1. Oh does that ever look delish! You take the most tantalizing pictures! I want a piece!

    ReplyDelete